Monday, October 7, 2013

Conference Activities for a Two Year Old


I know this post is a little late, but hopefully it will help in the future. I love conference weekend!! It has always been my favorite times of year. I always feel a renewed effort to be better. I’ve been lucky up until this conference to have a little girl whose naptime was during conference. As I thought of conference this time and my very active two year old I wondered what I was going to do to help us all enjoy conference a little more.

I first went to the internet and our old Friend magazines. I was overwhelmed with all the ideas that I found! The ideas ranged from little time to prepare to taking until next conference to prepare. I found this really cute idea in the Friend where the family took a family night and talked about King Benjamin and how the people faced their tents towards the temple to listen to the prophet. The following weekend when they listened to conference they built a tent and listened to conference in their tent. I loved the idea, but knew it wouldn’t last long for our little gal.

I found another idea that I loved too!! You take different buckets and fill them with treats and on the buckets you put words like faith, family, temple, etc. Every time someone talked about the word on the bucket you got to go get a treat out of the bucket. I loved this idea because who doesn’t love treats during conference. I then thought of my rowdy two year old after the first five speakers in the first session and thought all that sugar would not be good by day two hour 6 ½  of conference.

We found something that was simple to prepare and kept little Tay happy and busy so we could actually listen to conference. First we tackled the snacks. Normally I would have totally made our favorite treats and we would have snacked on that, but I wasn’t feeling up to it. So I bought some of Tay’s favorites that I rarely buy (fruit snacks, goldfish, M&Ms, and caramel popcorn). We would bust out a snack at the intermediate hymn of each session.   

To keep Tay busy Ty and I prepared little activities that she could do during the different speakers. (This is what we did for date night. I told myself it didn’t matter what we did as long as we did it together and that it wasn’t just me putting it off J ) We took the May Ensign and cut out the pictures of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. We put each picture on it’s own sticky note as you can see below. On the back of each sticky note we put something different Tay could do. We put the sticky notes near our TV. As a new speaker spoke Tay would go over and find the speaker. She then got to do the activity on the back. 



I loved this for so many reasons. It helped Taylor to learn the Apostles and the First Presidency. It kept her busy. We got to listen to conference!

The activities we had on the back of the sticky notes were: paint toes, build a fort, color (you can get lds coloring pages here https://www.lds.org/general-conference/children?lang=eng ) , there was also a matching game that we had Tay play on that website, play with stuffed animals, play with Mom’s bracelets, play with Dad’s wallet, look at Friend magazines, build a temple out of Duplos/Legos, play with dishes, do puzzles……I can’t remember the rest!! There were four more. If I think of them I’ll add them in comments below.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment